Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Lily of the Valley

Lily of the Valley

We have had Lily of the Valley growing in our front yard for as long as I can remember and for just as long I have made mental notes to shoot them. I finally got around to it this week.

I will often sit on my back steps, camera next to me, and watch whatever is going on. One thing I will do during this time is challenge myself to find compositions without getting off the steps; I don't often come away with much but it is a creativity building exercise. This past Sunday afternoon I found myself taking the bold step of sitting on the front porch! I have always wanted to travel.... 😉

After watching a rabbit and a few birds I looked around for something interesting to shoot. That's when I saw this little Lily of the Valley plant nestled among the big, green leaves. I liked the way they appeared to be peeking out of a hiding spot to see if it was safe to come out, with the one big leaf acting like a roof. The result was image #1. There were a few other reasonably good compositions from this exercise but I wanted to get closer. There was a slight breeze and the front of the house gets very little sunlight and since I was handholding, the ISO got bumped up to 1600 in order to get a shutter speed I was comfortable with and high enough to stop any movement of the flower.

The next afternoon I spent my lunch hour (I am working from home) looking to improve on the previous days' shoot. This time I was shooting macro and came armed with a tripod, extension tube and wired shutter release. It was a bit windier than the previous day so I was set at ISO 200 just to get a little more speed to stop the movement of the flowers; camera shake wasn't going to be a problem.

Images #2 thru #4 are the results of that macro shoot. Using a tripod for macro work in the field is great but can be a bit of a burden. When you are shooting macro, focus is often done by moving the camera but with the tripod you can't do that - unless, of course, you have a geared head that moves.

I am happy with the images, as a whole, and learned a lot from the experience. The next chance I get, I will be out front trying to get even closer and refining the compositions. I would love to get a frame-filling image of the inside of a flower; that is going to take a bit of ingenuity!

For further reading on my adventures in macrophotography, check out a couple of my previous blog posts: Still-Life Macro Photography with the Vello Macrofier and Product Review: Vello Macrofier for Canon EOS (UPDATED!)

If you enjoyed this post, please do me a small favor and share this post with others. You will find buttons for many of the popular social media platforms at the bottom of this post. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...