Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Monmouth Battlefield and the Sutfin House

Today marks the 239th anniversary of the Battle of Monmouth. I decided to mark the occasion by writing about one of my favorite photographic subject - The Sutfin House.

The Sutfin House was built in 1731 and was inhabited by Derick Sutfin, his wife, Mary and four of their eight children at the time of the battle. He was a farmer raising livestock and growing grain. He was also a slave owner and it is said that the slaves lived in the upstairs loft of the house. I became fascinated with this house from the first time I saw it while hiking the Washington Trail a few years ago. The images here are just a few of the ones I have taken - every angle in all kinds of weather. There was a time when I was shooting it nearly every day. I mostly shot from afar and have only ventured close on three occasions - twice alone and once during a paranormal investigation. Yes, I participated in a paranormal investigation and will write about that in a later post.

I will leave you with a few of the images I have made over the years and invite you to read more about the house and Monmouth Battlefield State Park on my companion blog - From the Mind of Joe Valencia. I wrote a series titled "Hiking Through History" and covered the battlefield in four parts, links are provided below.


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...