Monday, May 4, 2020

Interview with NJspots Founder Virginia Buechel

For more interviews, check out my page - The Interviews Collection.

Virginia Buechel

I discovered NJspots in the summer of 2019 when a tweet popped up in my feed one day. I checked out the site, loved what they were doing and applied to be a contributor. My first post, Smell the Roses at Deep Cut Gardens, was published not too long afterward. That is how I got to "know" Virginia, Abbey and the rest of the crew at NJspots.

I spent some time looking thru Virginia's Instagram feed and wonder how she finds the time and energy! You can definitely tell she is a nature lover and adventurer, putting you right in the action at times. She does a nice job capturing the grand landscapes along with some of it's finer details but I think the images I enjoy most are the portraits.

No, Virginia is not a "portrait photographer" but she does a really good job with "environmental" portraits. There is a certain playfulness in most of the images; you can tell the subject and photographer are both having fun and you wish you were there. Then there are the self-portraits (often with her wife) and the action shots.

In addition to her photography, Virginia also writes articles for her website, NJspots. I think that is why many of her photographs could easily fall into the "travel photography" category. Virginia has a list of some of her favorite NJspots articles in the links below but she humbly left out hers. To rectify that, I will clue you in on some of her articles that I enjoyed.

I picked these because I learned something in each - whether it was a new location to shoot, a great hike I've missed or an app to look into - I walked away with more than when I went in. That's what it is all about, right? I also think that is what draws people to the site over and over again. Virginia and her team are always looking for something new to bring to the table. I have learned things that I didn't even know I wanted to learn! 😉

I am looking forward to attending my first Meet Up after this coronavirus pandemic subsides and meeting Virginia. I would encourage you to check out NJspots (after finishing this interview, of course!) and sign up for updates. If you're in the Tri-State Area and looking for a good group of people to hang out with, sign up for one of the Meet Ups and maybe I will see you there. If you do, say hello so I know who you are!

So, now, without further ado.... I present to you, Virginia Buechel!

The Interview

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

I think one of my favorite childhood memories was being at my summer camp. It was local in the town I grew up (Sparta, NJ) and was filled with over 100 kids around my age every week. I would go for 8 weeks because both of my parents worked, but it was the best time. I really enjoyed just being outside and adventuring with scavenger hunts and learning about nature. I think this has a lot to do with the important role nature has in my adult life for escape and solitude.

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

Sour Patch Kids, Plain Pizza, my wife's hamburgers, New Jersey Bacon, Egg and Cheese on Plain Bagel and my mom's Carrot Souffle
(Joe: That is an interesting list. While I cannot vouch for your wife’s hamburgers, I can say that a great burger reigns supreme with me. A good pizza, too! I can let you in on some of the best of both someday.)

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

My mom has always preached, "Everything happens for a reason. You may not know why or ever find out why." - I have always lived by that especially when unspeakable or unexpected things happen, I always believe there is something bigger at play.

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't working?

Being outside. Whether that means I'm hiking during the warmer months or snowboard during the colder ones. Just being out in the fresh air is something I really do enjoy doing.

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

I think I would choose to chat with Russell Wilson, the Quarterback of the Seahawks. I never had a football team until he entered the league and as a past college athlete myself, I identified with him and his leadership qualities. I have admired him for his leadership abilities, as well as overcoming the odds.
(Joe: I think this is the first time a sports figure has come up – maybe he will read this and get in touch with you! 😉 )

What is something that most people don’t know about you?

I love my car being neat and clean inside. While I would love to have the time to wash it more myself, my busy schedule doesn't allow it, I do enjoy washing and detailing the inside myself.

What do you think about when you are alone?

I think about projects or ideas. My brain is constantly going and thinking of new ways to do things, be more efficient, or alter something to make it easier.

What would you like to be remembered for?

I would like to be remembered as a leader. Someone that set an example for others.
(Joe: We certainly could use a few more good leaders these days.)

Professional questions

How and why did you start NJspots?

I started NJspots back in 2015 as an idea to share more of the great places throughout our state. I had returned from a trip to the Southwest and noticed there were so many Instagram accounts that shared the views out there. I wanted to find one for New Jersey. So when I came back and searched for one, I felt that there was no real representation of what this great state has to offer. So then I started NJspots and it has blossomed ever since.

What is your greatest achievement?

I think my greatest achievement was when we hit 20,000 followers. That number really stood out in my mind. It was a LOT of people. That is when I realized this need I had for seeing and sharing amazing places around New Jersey, was something I shared with a lot more people. That is when I really started to notice there was something much bigger I had started.

Where do you draw inspiration from?

I would say, I draw inspiration from a variety of other brands I personally connect with. What I do and don't like about them and what their purpose is. I'm a deep thinker so I'm constantly thinking of what the deeper meaning or purpose is of different campaigns, products, or articles are. Most of them all have one thing in common: solutions. They all lead back to providing solutions to problems. So at NJspots we translate that into the articles, contests, meetups, and workshops we host to help people. Help connect them. Help them be more creative. Help them find new passions. Help them find new places to visit.

What is your favorite location to hike?

In New Jersey, I would have to say it's Mount Tammany. I know it's cliché but the view and challenging part of the hikes is what keeps bringing me back. Outside New Jersey, I love hiking anywhere in Utah. I think the land has such a wide variety of landscapes to discover.
(Joe: I certainly agree with you about Mount Tammany. I finally got to the top last October, after two failed attempts, and was blown away. I did the Red Trail/Blue Blaze Trail loop with my son – it was great to share the experience with him. I hope to get there again, at least once a year.)

What is your favorite location to shoot?

I would say my favorite place is anywhere new. I love finding new views or vast open areas. I'm a big fan of minimal photos, so anywhere I can find big open spaces is where I like to be. In New Jersey, I have found a variety of those types of places at Duke Farms.
(Joe: It’s always exciting to check out new landscapes to shoot.)

What is your favorite piece of equipment?

My favorite piece of equipment would have to be the JOBY GorillaPod I recently got. I previously had a no-name brand one that was a bit flimsy and unreliable. So when I upgraded to the JOBY one, I was excited to start traveling with it knowing it was sturdy enough for my camera anywhere I needed it.

How did you get your start and what advice would you give to someone looking to build an on-line community?

Like I said before, it all started with something that I "wanted" from New Jersey. Seeing amazing places in our state. So finding something that people may want or have a need to connect with is a good place to start. And it has to be fun. If you aren't having fun with it and making real connections it's not worth doing. If you are simply looking to be "popular" or grow numbers or likes, you are going to fail. People that are like that don't realize that no one else cares about those numbers, they care about how your community makes you feel.

Bonus question:

    What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?
  • Imagine Dragons - Origin
  • Black Eyed Peas - The End
  • One Republic - Native
  • Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday Roman Reloaded
  • Bastille - Bad Blood

Links

My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/buewho/

I hope you enjoyed my interview with Virginia and strongly encourage you to check out NJspots, sign up for updates and consider becoming a Patron. You should also show a little love to her Instagram account - she really has some great shots there.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...