Thursday, May 7, 2020

Behind the Image: Leggett's Sand Bar

For a full index of posts in this series, check out the "Behind the Images" page - here. Be sure to follow the hashtag #JoeValencia_BehindTheImage on Instagram and Twitter to learn of new installments.

Leggett's Sand Bar

Leggett's is a bar and restaurant about a block from the beach in Manasquan, New Jersey. It also was host of the AFSP Jersey Shore Out of the Darkness Walk for a number of years. I became involved with the walk in 2014 when I volunteered as an event photographer. I soon found myself on the committee.

Since Leggett's was hosting the walk, we would have our committee meetings in the restaurant. The restaurant being a block from the beach gave me an excuse to spend time photographing the beach, boardwalk and whatever else caught my eye. I would also look around to see if there was a spot that I wanted to use on the day of the walk. The image shown here is from February 2016 and I had just finished shooting some light painting images on the walkway at the beach. (Note: the images were my first attempt - you will never see them....)

The meeting was to begin at 8:00 PM, which in February is pretty dark, and it was only about 7:30 PM so I decided to play around with some images of the outside of the bar. I was attracted to the neon sign, the two "stripes" below it and the reflections on the parked cars. For some reason I was using the Nikon that I carry as a spare camera and I don't have a remote for that so I had to use a 2-second timer to trip the shutter. This was done to help reduce camera shake during the long exposure.

I took five (5) or six (6) shots at various exposures, packed up the camera and headed inside for the meeting and pizza. I didn't get a chance to upload and look at the images until the next day. When I did I was reasonably happy until I got to this one. While the shutter was open a car drove by leaving an interesting streak across the bottom of the frame. Though this is a 15 second exposure, the people inside were reasonably stationary making the other images rather static; the car moving thru the frame made it more dynamic and gave it a little extra pop.

I was still rather new to Lightroom so I was playing around with some of the presets that came installed with it. I don't remember the name of the one used for this image but it may have been "Hollywood" or something like that. It was supposed to give it a "cinematic" look. Once I applied the preset and made a few adjustments I was happy with the way it looked but there was something oddly familiar about it. It was almost like I had seen this before. It took a while but I realized that, to me, it had the same type of "feel" as Edward Hopper's Nighthawks. I know that they are not even close to similar but that is just the vibe I got from it.

I have included the original image here to show the difference the preset made. I like the original, it is much more vibrant but the streak left by the moving car is not as prominent and is just somewhat lacking in some way. I also tightened up the crop just a little bit.

2016 turned out to be the last year that the walk was hosted by Leggett's - it had just grown too big. The walk moved to Bar A in Lake Como in 2017 where it is still held each September. I last volunteered in 2018.

If you are in the Manasquan area, check out Leggett's - I can personally attest to their pizza. Very good!

Image made @ 7:38 PM on 25 February 2016

Technical Information

Exposure: 48mm - 15 seconds @ f/14 - ISO 100
    Equipment list
  • Nikon D60 body
  • Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
  • MeFOTO RoadTrip Classic tripod

Please do me a little favor and share this post with others, for there’s a good chance that it will help them with their photography. You will find buttons for many of the popular social media platforms at the bottom of this post. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...