Sunday, May 31, 2020

Backyard Discoveries

The "Project"

Today is May 31st and I have been working from home since mid-March. I mention that because it is the reason I started my "Backyard Boredom Project" and if anything good has come of this pandemic, this is it. During this time I also found the following quote:
The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. - Unknown
This project has definitely had a positive affect on me as a photographer. You see, most of my photography over the past few years takes place on my way to the office, during lunchtime hikes at one of the parks by the office or on my way home from the office. I will also take a break during a stressful day to walk around the office building and parking lot looking for something to point the camera at. Can you see a pattern? Add to this the fact that the parks all over the state were closed down for a number of weeks and I was left with my yard. I have written a companion piece titled, My COVID-19 Backyard Boredom Project on my other blog.

My Yard

I have about a half acre of land at the end of a cul-de-sac with woods one two sides, it is nice and quiet with plenty of trees and wildlife. My wife enjoys gardening and has planted quite an assortment of trees, shrubs, flowers and plants over the years but I've never really explored them before now. I usually get a few good images of daffodils we have planted around the yard but not much more than that. The past couple of months have changed that and a whole new world has opened up right outside my door.

I find that just having the camera in my hand can help improve my mood, it often leads to random shutter clicks with no "keepers" but a dramatic uplift of spirit. I was having a particularly bad day "at the office" and grabbed my camera, determined to find something. That first afternoon didn't result in any good images but it did give me a lot of ideas and avenues to explore. I decided to make it a point to get outside with my camera at least once a day, challenging myself to find print-worthy images. The next day gave me this dandelion.

The Lily of the Valley image has started another aspect of discovery for me. This time I was sitting on the front porch steps, camera in hand, looking for something to catch my eye. We have flower beds on either side of the porch filled with Lily of the Valley, ferns, hostas, and verbena. In the twenty-six (26) years that we have lived here, I have never photographed a single one. That has changed (see my post Lily of the Valley) and all because of the Lily of the Valley shown here. Looking to my right, thru the porch railing, I saw this Lily of the Valley; I grabbed the camera, leaned towards the flower and made this image. Hmmm.... what if I sit on the steps - front and back - with a single lens, looking for compositions without moving? Sounds like a great exercise. I now do that several times a week.

When I am working at the computer, I can look out a nearby window at a holly tree that is often the host to a bird or two. That same window overlooks some wild roses and sweet briar roses, like those shown here. When I am working, the camera sits within a few feet - armed and ready to go. The screen in the window has been removed so that I can open the window and shoot at a moments notice. While this hasn't exactly gotten me any great bird images, I have gotten some of the flowers and bees that frequent them.

This time has also re-ignited my interest in macro photography. I have always enjoyed macro work but have never had a "true" macro lens - I still don't. What I do have is a Macrofier (see Still-Life Macro Photography with the Vello Macrofier and Product Review: Vello Macrofier for Canon EOS (UPDATED!)) and that allows me to get some really nice macro shots. This brings me to the first image at the top of this post - if I didn't caption it, would you know that it is a common weed called white clover? This image is cropped from a larger one but not too much. I now spend almost as much time shooting macro as I do my other work.

I've really enjoyed working on this project and will continue for as long as I am working from home. It has opened up a world of new possibilities and made me more aware of compositions around me. I am thinking about similar projects - maybe a seasonal one or shooting a particular subject throughout its growth stages during the year.

I hope this has inspired you to get out and explore your own backyard, flower bed, planter, whatever you have around you. If you do, I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below.

If you enjoyed this post, please do me a small favor and share it with others. You will find buttons for many of the popular social media platforms at the bottom of this post. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...