Sunday, March 19, 2017

An Abstract in Red

I don't do a whole lot of abstract photography and is one of my more abstract images, taking advantage of the vibrant red color of the autumn leaves, it is quickly becoming one of my favorites. The image was taken at Lake Topanemus Park in Freehold, New Jersey. I was out for one of my regular lunchtime walks – with my camera, of course, and the day was somewhat dreary. There wasn’t much going on and I had walked almost a mile without even thinking about picking up my camera. I was heading back to my car when I looked to my right, just on the fringe of the wooded area next to the trail I was on. These leaves just about jumped out at me begging to be shot. I took three (3) or four (4) slightly different shots of this group and then moved on to a different tree with different red leaves and red berries.

I am happy with a few of the images but this one just hits all the right notes for me. I like getting in close with a telephoto and using a big aperture (250mm, 1/320 @ f/5.6, ISO 500) to compress the background while throwing it out of focus. That is one of the things I most like about close-up photography – a slight change can make a completely different image and mood. I could shoot this image with a wide-angle lens with exactly the same framing but it would look and feel completely different because the background elements would appear more distant. Shoot a 400mm @ f/2.8 and maybe only the first two (2) foreground leaves are in focus. The possibilities are virtually endless.

Why not show some of YOUR abstract photos in the comments below. I would love to see them.


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...