Wednesday, March 22, 2017

My Responsibility as an Experienced Photographer

I recently read an article that someone posted on Facebook titled “4 Questions Amateur Photographers Need to Stop Asking”; it sparked a debate and got me to thinking. When I saw the title I thought it was about amateurs pestering professionals about how to make money with photography. That is not even close to what the article is about – a more meaningful title would have been “4 Questions Novice Photographers Need to Stop Asking.” I am an “amateur” because I make very little money through photography, this is despite having more than 40 years’ experience. Having said that, I can honestly say that I still ask “What are you shooting?” when I come across someone with an interesting camera/lens. I don’t mean it to be “Gee, if I had that I could make better pictures.” but rather “I would love to know what you think about your gear.”

Here are the “dreaded” questions and proposed “alternative” questions:

  • What kind of camera do you have? - Why do you prefer your camera over others?
  • What settings are you using? – What was your process for taking this shot?
  • What Photoshop filter did you use? – What post-processing techniques did you use?
  • What is __________? – The blank could represent anything and was considered lazy. Look it up via Google or YouTube and only ask for help if you are still confused.

The author of the article took exception to these questions because he felt it showed laziness and lack of understanding on the behalf of the person asking. He was outright insulted by the Photoshop question. While the alternative questions might be better and elicit a more helpful answer in the long run I think it might be asking a bit much of a rank novice. I would look at the “dreaded” question as insight into the level of photographer asking the question and present the answer to the “alternative” question.

I have been asked the first two questions while out shooting and happily take the time to chat, if I can; especially if they are carrying a camera with them. The only time I might get a bit “testy” and brush someone off is if I am obviously in the middle of something where a distraction might cost me a shot, such as if I am stalking an egret or approaching some other wildlife. I am otherwise more than happy to answer your questions; you might even get more than you bargained for.

Throughout the years there have been many photographers who have helped me in some way. Most of the time it was in a formal setting such as a camera club or an organized photography outing but there have been times when I saw someone shooting and asked “what and why” or I would be shooting and someone would approach me to give me some pointers. Without this interaction who knows where I would be in my art today. Now that I am “the old guy” I take that role seriously and believe it is my responsibility to share what I know.

So, what do you think? Are the “dreaded” questions really bad? Would you scoff at someone asking them or help them gain a better understanding?

image - https://pixabay.com/en/photographer-camera-photography-2032135/

header image - https://pixabay.com/en/question-mark-photographer-woman-1651149/


Self-portrait is copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Knowledge is power. Sharing what we have learned is paying it forward. Thanks to those of you that share your insights!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...