Monday, June 12, 2017

Interview with Photographer Melissa Susino-Nussbaum

Melissa Susino-Nussbaum is an aspiring photographer and TV/Film Producer. She studied Communication at Brookdale Community College and William Paterson University. During her career she has worked for various production companies working on shows like Dancing with the Stars, Food Network’s “The Kitchen”, and NBC’s “The Voice”. Currently she works for Warner Music Group.

In her spare time she likes to travel, go to concerts, attend Broadway shows, and spend time with her family. Melissa currently resides in Sayreville, NJ with her husband Ian and their cat, Bailey.

I learned of Melissa from a long-time friend, Debbie, who also happens to be Melissa's mother-in-law. Debbie has posted on Facebook a link to Melissa's website and when I checked it out I was quite impressed. The more I learned about her, the more impressed I became - she is quite accomplished for someone of her age. I hope you enjoy her interview and I encourage you to check out her work.

The Interview

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

My dad used to take me and my sister to visit my grandfather at his job at a garage in Paterson, NJ next to Lambert Castle. When we got there he used to give us tons of snacks like popcorn, chips, and tons of juice to take home. They also used to have an office dog named Duke who we loved to see.

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

I can’t live without Pasta or any type of Italian dishes like eggplant parm! Also, pizza, grilled chicken Caesar salads, and French fries.
(Joe: pasta, pizza and fries - isn't that some kind of trilogy? :-))

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

One of my professors from William Paterson University, John Rhodes said to me, “Always say what you are, if you want to be a producer, say you are a producer. If you want to be a director, say you are a director.” His advice really helped me become more confident in building my career.
(Joe: wonderful advice!)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't shooting?

When I’m not shooting my time is spent with my husband Ian and our new kitten, Bailey. My husband is also a photographer and we love to travel. We bring our camera and try to take tons of day trips or vacations as much as we can.

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

Jim Henson. I’m a huge fan of The Muppets. He has created such amazing work. His filmmaking inspires me every day. I’m honored I was able to work on one of his productions, Sesame Street.
(Joe: what a great choice, I think he would have been a lot of fun to sit and listen to.)

Professional questions

Why photography?

The best thing about photography is that it gives you memories. I love to take as many as possible so I can look back at all the places and things I have seen throughout my life.

Can you explain your photography in 10 words or less?

Adventurous. I still have much to learn and still trying to find my way.

What is your greatest achievement in photography?

My greatest achievement is just being able to have the opportunity to pursue my dreams and have gained success.

If you could share a gallery show with anyone past or present, who would it be?

I’d like to share a gallery show with any Film Set Photographer. Kim Gottieb-Walker is one; she did a lot of photography for John Carpenter on his Halloween films.
(Joe: this is an interesting choice - I would definitely check out that exhibit!)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you shoot and what’s your favorite part about the process?

I gain inspiration from looking at other photographer’s work. There’s a great site called 500px that is out there where tons of people share their photos. My favorite part of the process is trying to find the best angle for my subject. When I take concert photos I love to try and take a photo that makes the viewer feel like they were at the concert.

How did you get your start and what advice would you give to someone looking for a career in photography?

I started my photography with my father’s old video camera. Throughout my childhood and teen years I made short videos and took millions of photos. I often went to boy band concerts and would be so excited to bring my camera. After high school I went to Brookdale Community College and William Paterson University where I studied TV/Film. I was involved with tons of productions on college campus as well as participating in Stage Management for theatre. I also landed my first internship at MTV Networks during my time at Brookdale. Since then I made contacts and was able to successfully score tons of gigs with different production companies.

My advice would be is to- Practice. Practice. Practice. If you can afford to take some classes, definitely take advantage of them. There is so much you can learn. There’s also tons of information on the internet where you can teach yourself the ins and outs of photography and film. Get yourself on social media and share your work. You never know who can come across your photos.

It is a really hard field to get into. I know tons of people that are still trying, but DON’T GIVE UP. There were many times that I would get discouraged in between gigs thinking I would never find more work. It will happen for you, you just need to keep on pushing and getting yourself out there.

Check out some of Melissa's work


All photos are copyright Melissa Susino-Nussbaum. For more information you may contact the photographer at melissasusino@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...