Monday, June 19, 2017

Why Photography?

I normally post an interview on Monday but my current interview isn't quite ready so I decided to do something a bit different. The one question that I ask each photographer that I interview is "Why photography?". It is a simple question and I have gotten some wonderful answers but it was never a question that I asked myself. In this post, I will explore that question.

Why Photography?

A simple question but difficult at the same time. I never really gave it much thought, just like I don't think about breathing - I just do it. My camera is my constant companion, an extension of myself.

The Beginning

My earliest recollection of taking photograhs is when I was about 8 years old - I used a Kodak Brownie and took pictures at the beach. When I was 11 or 12 I got a Polaroid Colorpack 88 camera and my life changed forever. I didn't know it then but that was the beginning of a life-long journey. By the time I was in 8th grade I was reading everything I could and I was tasked with building a darkroom for my school. I will never forget the feeling of bringing my photos to life in the darkroom. When I graduated 8th grade I got my first 35mm camera - a Yashica Electro 35 GSN rangefinder.

The Yashica came with two screw-on lenses - wide angle and telephoto - and it got quite a workout. I was mainly taking pictures of family and friends with an occasional landscape thrown in for good measure. I was learning. The Yashica got me through high school and beyond but I was outgrowing it and in 1980 I bought my first SLR - a Canon A1 that I still have today.

Learning the Craft

This opened up a whole new world and was when I first considered a career in photography. In 1981 I took my first, and only, photography class at Brookdale Community College. It was fun to get a chance to be in the darkroom again. It was also my first introduction to the art of photography, as well as my introduction to criticism. I was being told what I got "right", and "wrong", in my prints. The most important lesson I learned was that art is very subjective and not everyone shares your vision. The lesson I am still learning is that, ultimately, "right" is what I decided it is.

There are those who choose to be a photographer for their own personal reasons - I also believe others don't really have a choice, photography chooses them. I fall into this category. I find that I am taking pictures even when I don't have a camera in my hands. I look at things differently, evaluating light, looking at shadows, etc....

I often use my phone to grab a few shots of something I find interesting but either don't have time to explore or the conditions aren't right. I will do some work with it and then decide whether or not to pursue it further. The images here of the tree stump are an example - I didn't have my tripod and the lighting wasn't great so I grabbed a quick shot and did some playing with it. I will be re-visiting this stump. I am always looking for the next shot. It is my "high."

So.... why photography?

I guess I don't really have an answer. I didn't choose photography - I believe photography chose me. It isn't what I do, it is who I am....

I will leave you with a quote by Imogene Cunningham that sums it up perfectly - "Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I'm going to take tomorrow."


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...