Monday, June 26, 2017

Interview with Portrait Photographer Ruth Nyce

This interview is dedicated to the memory of Stephen DiStefano.

Ruth Nyce is a New Jersey-based portrait photographer but she is so much more than that. Her first love is nature photography but the field is fiercely competitive and difficult to break in to. She did well but decided to turn her attention to people and portrait photography. One look at Ruth’s portfolio on her website and you will see that Ruth’s portraits do more than capture what her model looks like, they capture their personalities. This is an innate talent and not something you can learn. Whether posed in and around her studio or shot on-location at your favorite getaway, you can see the love she has for her models and her craft.

As I mentioned, portrait photography is what she does for a living but her underlying passion is nature. It would seem she was born to be a photographer – her father was the photographer for the Miss America Pageant in Atlantic City. You can see by some of the images included here that she is also an accomplished nature photographer, even if a bit too daring for her own good sometimes. When others are running for cover from an impending storm, she runs out with her camera to capture the drama. The intrepid woman standing on the jetty tempting fate is Ruth. If you have ever been out on a wet jetty, you will understand how dangerous it can be, let alone having waves come at you like they are here. The images of the crashing waves were made during a hurricane along the Jersey Shore.

I normally begin with a headshot or portrait of my subject but not this week. I have a great shot of Ruth with her son, Stephen. Stephen was killed in a one car accident early morning on July 4th of last year. He was 25 years old and working two jobs to pay off his college student loans and fell asleep at the wheel - he was on his way to work when the accident occurred. This interview is dedicated in his honor.

So. Let me introduce to you, Ruth Nyce – in her own words.

The Interview

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Ahh, this question is easy; being a part of history in Atlantic City - Captain Starns. Growing up I always had a camera in my hand. I started photographing as a part of my fathers business; taking pictures of the guests on the boats at Captain Starns as they departed for their adventure into the Atlantic Ocean.

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

I LOVE pasta! That would be my number one food. A very close second would be ice cream. I will visit any place that serves it, even in the dead of winter. Next would be pizza. A good pizza on a Friday night after a rough day at work is just nice! Next would be seafood, not fish, but shrimp-scallops-lobster, all together if possible. Dipped in butter all of them are just amazing. Last would be soda. As bad as it is for you, I just love it!
(Joe: I had to make sure this wasn't something I had written. This is the best answer to this question EVER! I would replace soda with cheeseburger, though....)

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

The best advise that was given to me was by my friend Olga who lives on the other side of the world. She tutored me on a website that we both were a part of. She is simply amazing with everything that she touches. When I questioned her about my abilities and talents and what I should better to move forward she critiqued a little but then she said something unexpected. She said "You know that you have the talent and a gifted eye, let it out and don't be so afraid to use it. Let yourself shine!" She saw something I needed to move out of the way - that being myself!
(Joe: great advice. This question has become one of my favorites and I am never disappointed with the response.)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't shooting?

I love the outdoors. What better way to relax and unwind after a long day! I can just sit out on the jetty at the end of West Cape May or Brigantine for hours just watching the waves.

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

That would have to be Jesus. It is totally amazing how a person who lived so long ago is still revered so highly and followed so lovingly by so many people today. His knowledge is astounding and it would be an honor to just sit and chill and have Him teach me!

Professional questions

Why photography?

Photography allows you to be yourself. You can photograph your world and show others just what you see. I find that totally amazing! Its telling a story without using words. Secondly, I love to make people smile through my work. You can sit and watch people just being themselves and capture memories that they will cherish for a lifetime!

Can you explain your photography in 10 words or less?

Fun, happy, beautiful, dramatic, captivating, colorful, memorable, family, amazing, and we can't forget detailed!

What is your greatest achievement in photography?

Mastering my fears of working in "Manual Mode" is up there for that opened up a whole new world in quality. My real accomplishment was learning to get myself out of the way.
(Joe: shooting "manual" is a good skill to have but for my money you also need to know when to use it. I think "get myself out of the way" is probably the hardest thing.)

If you could share a gallery show with anyone past or present, who would it be?

That most certainly would be Ansel Adams!!!! His photography is stunning and absolutely amazing! There is so much to learn from a talent like that!
(Joe: I had the pleasure of seeing an exhibit of original Ansel Adams prints 25 years ago - what an absolute thrill. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have my work hang alongside his!)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you shoot and what’s your favorite part about the process?

My inspiration comes from my father. He is an amazing photographer and has taught me so many things over the years. We photographed together at Captain Starns in Atlantic City and we also photographed together the Miss America Pageant when I was young. He has this eye for the perfect shot and his wisdom on the art of posing your subjects has been priceless. My favorite part about the process? I love the final product-being able to present the final work to my clients. Theirs smiles are what I live for!

How did you get your start and what advice would you give to someone looking for a career in photography?

My start came through nudges of my friends and family believe it or not. I was always that "go to" person when parties were happening. I was told that I shouldn't let my talent just be used on them; I should share it with the world! My advise to those seeking a career in photography? Do not get discouraged. It takes time and diligence to move forward. I am starting later in life for I let myself get in the way. Don't be afraid to chase after your dreams!

Bonus question

What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

I love Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, and Keith Urban! If you cant tell I am a big country fan but also love modern Christian artist Michael W. Smith. My favorite albums would be Cosmic Hallelujah, Platinum, They Dont Know, Ripcord and Stand. This would give me a balanced beat to dance around to as well as music to sooth my soul. I find music to be a healing remedy during any time in ones life!

One last peek into Ruth using a quote from her National Geographic - Your Shot bio: "I have had a camera in my hand for as long as I can remember, venturing into the unknown to capture amazing shots. Some say that I am a little too adventurous, but I call what I do 'fun' and exhilarating!"

Check out the websites below for more of Ruth's work and contact information:

Studio Location: 109 New Jersey Avenue, Atco, New Jersey
E-mail: rcphotography1220@outlook.com


All Images are © 2017 by RUTH NYCE.

4 comments:

  1. I totally enjoyed this one Joe. Such a wonderful selection of photos. Very sad to read about her losing a son at such a young age. Even though portrait and people photography is not my thing I have to say my favorite shot here is of the young lady with her hand in her hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia - I am glad you enjoyed the interview. I have to agree, I am drawn to that image myself. Ruth does such a great job capturing the subjects personality. I am glad I was able to get this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Come to the edge," he said.
    "We can't, we're afraid!" they responded.
    "Come to the edge," he said.
    "We can't, We will fall!" they responded.
    "Come to the edge," he said.
    And so they came.
    And he pushed them.
    And they flew.”


    ― Guillaume Apollinaire

    Fly my dear friend....fly. A heartwarming and inspiring interview.

    Olga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga - thank you for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate the inspirational passage - I hadn't heard that before.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...