Monday, March 27, 2017

Interview with Photographer Chris Gahler

Chris has been a friend of mine for more than 40 years; he is someone whom I respect both on a personal and professional level. We met in high school, played soccer and had a number of classes together; despite all of that it wasn't until a number of years after graduation that I found we also shared a love of photography. He has worked in a number of capacities including work in a print shop, a one-hour photo store and is currently the Media Resources Manager for a major healthcare provider.

Chris spends his day shooting formal and informal portraits, covering events, marketing photography for print and web (this includes portraits & events plus things like clinicians “in action” and facilities photography. While he doesn’t get to do it do much of it anymore he finds clinical photography perhaps the most interesting; this can be anything from documenting an OR procedure to wound care to forensic photography. This is in addition to managing his department. When he isn't working you can find him with his wife and two (2) children. It is hard to tell if he is a gifted child photographer or if his children just make it extremely easy. What I do know is that his family is his world and that they truly love life. This is reflected in his photographs which bring out the personality of those he is shooting.

For all of the years that we have been friends there is only one time that we actually got to shoot together and those images are shown here. We got together to shoot the Sutfin House at Monmouth Battlefield State Park during a paranormal investigation. Chris and I had talked about getting together and when the opportunity presented itself he was available. Chris is the guy with the shorts and the Nikon outfit and the second to last shot at the end of the post is me with my Canon - it was saved from Facebook and is cropped, the quality does not reflect his work. We had a good time that day and I have been looking forward to our next excursion ever since. The last image was shot a few years ago at my house.

Now, without further ado I present "Interview with Photographer Chris Gahler". Enjoy!

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

So many to choose from but one that sticks out is going with my father to fly in the Goodyear Blimp. My dad worked 7 days a week more often than not so time with him was at a premium. I don’t remember all the details about the day but I’ll never forget the feelings. I wish I could find the photos we took that day!

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

Pizza, Burgers, Pasta, Chicken, Ice Cream. Yes I eat like a child.
(Joe: there is nothing wrong with eating like a child – especially when it comes to burgers, pizza and ice cream!)

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

I don’t remember the first time I heard the Serenity Prayer. Google it is you’re aren’t familiar! Then post it somewhere you can see it every day. I just remember being floored by the simple yet powerful message. I try to live by this concept every day. I guess the irony here is that the best advice I ever received came from some poster somewhere!

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't shooting?

Playing with my kids. I believe play is just as important for adults as it is for children, perhaps even more so. The kids give me an easy excuse. (Joe: playing with your children is the best medicine for whatever the day threw at you. Enjoy every second.)

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

Jesus Christ - the scholarly consensus is that he was probably a real person.... I’d like him to clarify a few things for me. Well actually many things. Recent history has seen so many terrible things happening in the name of religion. Perhaps tea with both Christ and Mohammed might get some answers.

Professional questions

Why photography?

Dumb luck. Dad bought a new camera and I inherited the old Kodak Instamatic. The bug bit me and that was that.

Can you explain your photography in 10 words or less?

Simple, say more with less.

What is your greatest achievement in photography?

How about what I feel best about? Working in healthcare I have had an opportunity to provide photographic support to child protection programs. I won’t go into details but young lives are changed and sometimes even saved. I wish I did more of this although I wish I didn’t have too.
(Joe: it’s interesting that sometimes what brings us the greatest satisfaction is doing something we wish there was no need for.)

If you could share a gallery show with anyone past or present, who would it be?

Tough one. I’ll go with Richard Avedon. That was a toss-up with Annie Leibovitz. On the other hand a show with Mapplethorpe would bring out some interesting people.
(Joe: “interesting” is a good choice of words….)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you shoot and what’s your favorite part about the process?

This is really two different things. I draw inspiration from my fellow photographers. All of them. I am amazed by other people’s photography, including yours I may add. My favorite part of the process is trying to find the best way to view any given subject. That is the essence of my photography and perhaps photography in general. Any given subject may look completely different depending on so many different variables. Lighting, camera angle, focal length, depth of field, shutter speed, filters all affect how your camera sees a subject and by extension how your audience will see that subject. I love trying to find that “perfect” blend. Only rarely do I hit it.
(Joe: I am humbled by the compliment. For those reading this who are just starting out – this could be your answer to “best advice”, study and learn from other photographers.)

Bonus question:

What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

Dark Side of the Moon, Made in Japan, Bat Out of Hell, Sgt Pepper, Thriller. If you aren’t familiar with any of these shame on you lol

Note

The first two images shown are Chris in action while shooting at the Sutfin House at Monmouth Battlefield. The third image is Chris and me taken at a party at my home a number of years ago and, finally, the last shot is me in action, as taken by Chris. I was actually taking a shot of him, taking a shot of me.
All photos are copyrighted. They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree with Chris "I believe play is just as important for adults as it is for children, perhaps even more so." We all need to find more playtime as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. To paraphrase Jack Torrence - "All work and no place make Joe a dull boy." ;-)

      Delete
  2. Another winner, Joe. I want to be on that next outing with you and Chris. And as soon as we are allowed to mingle again, everyone on my front porch in Belmar for drinks, snacks and a walk to the sunset. Kids too, I want to meet those two young ladies in person! Thanks for letting me know a little more about Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dave! This was actually the last time we shot together, despite talk of others.... It would be nice for the three of us to shoot one day and drinks on the porch sounds nice, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...