Sunday, October 24, 2021

Art Exhibit - Into the Woods

Into the Woods

The Gallery @ Thompson Park holds several themed art exhibits throughout the year, featuring local artists in a wide variety of media. The current exhibit, Into the Woods, is the first that I have participated in; hopefully it is the first of many. When a theme is announced, artists are encouraged to submit up to three (3) images representing their art to be reviewed by their guest juror. You may not have all your submissions selected; you may not be selected at all – this time I had one of three chosen, The Serenity of the Woods. Once chosen, you have about a week to prepare your art and bring it to the gallery for hanging. All work is offered “For Sale” with a 30% commission for the gallery.

Into the Woods had its opening reception on Friday, 17 September 2021 drawing a nice crowd. The reception is nice because it gives the artist an opportunity to interact with their audience and for visitors to get to know the artists. This was my first experience seeing my work hanging on a gallery wall and seeing the reactions of strangers; I did have an image exhibited in Greece in 2020 (you can read about it here) but was not able to attend for a variety of reasons. It was exciting and scary at the same time – I kept wanting to have a recording device running so I could hear what people were saying, at the same time I didn’t want to know what they were saying! Talk about conflicted!

I was happy that I was able to share the experience with my wife and daughter, unfortunately my son was stuck in traffic on the BQE…. In 2015 we attended the Senior Art Show to see my daughter exhibiting some of her fine art portraits and now it was my turn, who knows, maybe we will both be exhibited in an upcoming show! It was nice to see some familiar faces, too. I was happy to see that I was sharing the experience with two (2) friends, Sue, and Padma. Sue has a unique photograph of a dinosour “sculpture” (it is made of twigs and branches) and Padma has a beautiful watercolor painting. I have links to their entries below, along with a link to my image without the frame.

I am proud to announce here that, as-of this writing, I have sold the framed print hanging in the gallery and a request has been made by another patron to purchase a framed print. I had hoped to make a sale but never imagined I would walk away with two! If you are interested, there is still time to get a copy. The exhibit runs thru 13 November 2021 – follow this link for further details. I would also encourage you to check out Sue and Padma while there and consider bringing their work into your home, too.

If you cannot make it to the exhibit, you may be able to make a purchase on-line – give them a call or send an email. For more information on this or upcoming exhibits, please email ccarlson@monmouthcountyparks.com, or call 732-842-4000, ext. 3343.

If you enjoyed this post, please do me a small favor and share it with others. You will find buttons for many of the popular social media platforms at the bottom of this post. Thank you!



2 comments:

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...