Sunday, November 1, 2020

An Afternoon at Deep Cut Gardens

Deep Cut Gardens

When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it’s your world for the moment. I want to give that world to someone else. Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it whether they want to or not. - Georgia O’Keeffe
I took a much needed day off at the end of September and spent the day with my wife. For the first time this year we had lunch at our favorite diner, All Seasons Diner in Eatontown, and then, after a quick detour, headed for Deep Cut Gardens. We love going to the park but don't get there nearly as much as we would like. A Thursday afternoon seemed like a great time to go but there were quite a few people there, including at least four (4) other photographers and more than a few women with young children. If you aren't familiar with Deep Cut Gardens, you can check out my earlier blog post - Parks of Monmouth County - Deep Cut Gardens - and I will provide further links below. I will also provide some links to photographs on Instagram featuring Deep Cut Gardens - I encourage you to check them out and follow them. I do!

The walkway from the parking lot around to the Koi Pond is now lined with beautiful fall colors, replacing the tulips that thrive earlier in the year. This flower bed changes thru the year - the last time we were here the Park Rangers were digging up tulip bulbs and giving them away. We will have tulips next year! I have to admit, I spent a while scoping out this bed and trying a number of compositions but nothing really clicked except for the zinnia shown here. It happens sometimes; there is so much going on and I jump from one thing to another like a kid at Christmas. I must make a conscious effort to slow down and work a composition properly. The good news is that, after all these years, I can still get as excited about photography as I did more than 45 years ago when I first fell in love with it.

Soon there were three (3) other photographers vying for space; it was time for me to move on. When I turned the corner to the Horticultural Center I was struck by these incredible golden spires, beyond them were bright red ones. These Celosia (see Celosia on Wikipedia) are simply magnificent. I made a few images before moving on to the “Main Event” – the Sargent’s weeping hemlocks and Parterre. The hemlocks are such beautiful, and surprisingly fragile, trees; we stopped to speak with Ranger Don who told us that the limbs sometimes must be supported in the winter if enough snow builds up on them. That is one reason why climbing, or sitting in, the trees is prohibited.

There is a wonderful series of waterfalls & ponds nestled within the trees; perfect for a bit of long exposure photography. I reached for my Ice 72mm CaNDi-5 Solid ND 1.5 and Circular Polarizer Filter (5-Stop) to help cut the glare and provide me with a bit more latitude for my exposures. Each of the three (3) ponds have their own charm so I set out to capture each, trying exposures ranging from about 1/3 second to 2 seconds. I have included my favorite image here – to see the others, along with more Deep Cut Gardens images, check out my Behance Project - Deep Cut Gardens. It was right about now that my wife, I was there with my wife – remember, caught up with me. We sat on one of the benches under a tree to rest a bit. You see, when we go to the park, we tend to go our own way at times. She has her interests and I am like a butterfly moving from one composition to another. She uses her phone to capture and edit images and has become quite good; I would even say that she can out-shoot me some of the time. Don’t tell her that, it will be our little secret. It doesn’t take long before something catches my eye and I am heading towards the Parterre.

The roses are mostly gone now but a few blooms remain, I used a couple of them to frame the pergola. Yes, I purposely have them out of focus…. No, I’m still not sure if it “works.” What do you think? Let me know in the comments. The destination was the pergola or, more specifically the flower beds in front of the pergola.

I thought the flower beds were a great opportunity, much like the flower beds in the parking lot. I tried focus-stacking an image using the front of the beds as a leading edge. I still believe there is an image there somewhere, but I didn’t find it that day. I did come away with a few individual blooms – the images here represent the best of them. I find myself attracted to the warm end of the spectrum when it comes to flowers which is a double-edged sword. They are strikingly beautiful but also rather difficult to photograph well. They tend to fool the camera’s meter and tend to be under-exposed. If you compensate too much they get washed out and look funny.

I did manage a few images of the red zinnias that are in the pergola flowerbeds, as you can see. I think I am doing better but need more practice; I suppose I am going to have to keep going back to Deep Cut Gardens. 😉

We decided to go back to the car by way of the greenhouse and Display Garden. This turned out to be the best thing I did all day; it brought me to the Japanese Hairy Toad Lily. I had never seen one of these before and I was captivated by it. Up to this point there was virtually no breeze at all but now that I wanted to get close, and these are on a long, thin, stalk, a slight breeze started. It was almost imperceivably but when I magnified the image to focus, you could see it moving. This flower is going to get a lot more attention whenever I go to the park.

The last stop was the Display Garden where I got to visit with a few of the locals, including a little Garden Fairy! The garden is a fenced in area filled with raised beds growing flowers, vegetables and herbs. Interspersed among the plants you can find some garden gnomes – a few of which I have here.

If you enjoyed this post, please do me a small favor and share it with others. You will find buttons for many of the popular social media platforms at the bottom of this post. Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...