Thursday, October 3, 2019

"I go to nature to be soothed...."

"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs
This is a quote that I found posted by a Facebook friend a few years ago and decided to write about it someday. That someday is today.

When I first read this quote I immediately thought of the "Lily Pad Lake" at Allaire State Park. I don't know if it has a "real" name but I have always called it that. This is where I go if I want to be alone with just my thoughts and the beauty of nature. It lies on a major trail but not many people venture that far back. There is something about the stillness and serenity of this spot that I find very soothing and inspiring. The lake is a small oasis in the middle of a dense wood and it's surface is almost always mirror-like. I was once asked where my ideal home would be and I found myself describing a scene very much like the one shown here. I have come up with topics written about here, solved code problems for work and written letters while sitting on a bench on the bank.

There was never a night or a problem that could defeat sunrise or hope. – Bernard Williams
A sunrise over the ocean is something that everyone should experience at least once in their life. Watching the sun come up is like a rebirth or hitting a reset button. I have witnessed sunrise at lakes (Manasquan Reservoir - A Sunrise & Sunset Weekend), in the woods and on the road but, for my money, there is nothing as splendid as a the sun rising over the ocean. A friend recently told me that a sunset over the Pacific is equally as splendid, I will have to accept her word for it. The best time of year is anytime that isn't summer because that is when the air is crisper and the beaches are nearly deserted. I start planning sunrise shoots in October and go thru March or April; it isn't unusual for me to be at water's edge when the thermometer is well below freezing. My favorite sunrise location was the Fishing Pier at Ocean Grove but the pier was destroyed by Superstorm Sandy in October 2012. They have rebuilt the boardwalk and pier but they stopped short of where the shack once stood. I don't know if they will ever replace that section of the pier so, for now we just have our photographs and memories.
If I can put one touch of rosy sunset into the life of any man or woman, I shall feel that I have worked with God. - Gilbert K. Chesterton
I guess the flip-side of sunrise over the ocean would be sunset over the river. It can be quite soothing after a long day, putting an end to one chapter and refueling for the next. It's like all of the day's struggles fall away and follow the sun over the horizon. I will often stick around for a while after the show is over and catch the encore that is twilight; this can often outshine the sunset but is often ignored by many. The ensuing darkness of night is a great equalizer and presents is own miracles with the twinkling of the stars. Much like the sunrise, I prefer sunsets in the cooler weather but there comes a time when I am sitting in my office as the show begins and have to watch out the window.

I grew up with Oceanport Creek (a small branch off of the Shrewsbury River) in my backyard and saw many incredible sunsets. There are slides and negatives waiting to be scanned some day. The sunset here is of a place that should look familiar to many of you - Maclearie Park in Belmar. I love this little park and am always pleasantly surprised when I discover a new composition.

There's no better place to find yourself that sitting by a waterfall and listening to it's music - Roland R Kemler
The magnificence of a waterfall cannot be overstated and, in this instance, size doesn't matter. The waterfall here is part of Dunnfield Creek along the same named trail on the New Jersey side of the Delaware Water Gap. This is only about 1 mile or so from the trailhead and a spot I am anxious to get back to. There are quite a few waterfalls in this area, Buttermilk Falls being the highest in New Jersey (200') and I am hoping to get to some of them this autumn. There is something magnificent in the waterfall - the beauty and grace of the falling water deceptively mask it's sheer power. It's impossible to witness the water flowing over rocks worn smooth over time and not be in awe. The sound of the waterfall is truly one of the more melodious voices in nature's choir.

Bushkill Falls is called "Niagara of Pennsylvania" and I have visited it twice. My visits there were back in my 35mm days and I have many slides from those trips, still another job for scanning. If you are looking for a large waterfall and not excited about hiking thru the woods, you can check out Great Falls in Paterson. Only in Your State has an article named Ultimate New Jersey Waterfalls Road Trip where they list eight (8) must-see waterfalls in New Jersey - #1 on the list is Dunnfield Creek! This article may very well be the road map for my next vacation. 😉 There is a site for every state in the U.S. - look for yours and sign up for the updates.

Watching birds has become part of my daily meditations, affirming my connection to the Earth body – Carol P. Christ
Last, but certainly not least, is wildlife. I love to sit and watch birds come and go in my backyard. Looking to the sky and seeing a hawk flying around is awe inspiring. For my money I enjoy watching deer, chipmunks, egrets and herons more than any other of Mother Nature's creatures. There is something majestic about a deer, especially a buck, and the gracefulness of an egret is virtually unparalleled. I have been chasing egrets and herons for well over 30 years, going back to my 35mm days and Kodachrome. I have 100's of slides but never felt like I got "the" shot - it seemed the egret had become my Wildlife Holy Grail. That changed in 2012 while I was working in Union Beach. I discovered a small beach not too far from the office and I would drive over to enjoy the view; soon I discovered it was a favorite spot for egrets to fish during low tide. The great white egret shown here was shot during a lunchtime visit. I had my Sigma 400mm lens with me and walked away quite satisfied. The Sigma lens is one that I bought in the mid-80's so I needed to buy an adapter to use it on my digital camera - fully manual.

I will often sit in a park for no other reason than to watch, and listen to, the birds. A couple years ago I wrote Stop and Listen to the Birds Sing for my other blog. It is all about taking time to just relish the sights and sounds of nature. Birds aren't the only entertainment to be found in nature, deer are incredibly beautiful and graceful creatures; have you ever come across a buck while hiking thru the woods? It is a rare sight and one that you will take with you til your last breath. Chipmunks, on the other hand, are cute little creatures with an amazing amount of energy - I get exhausted watching them run around.

We do not see nature with our eyes, but with our understandings and our hearts. - William Hazlitt
And so goes my tribute to the soothing, healing effects of nature. If you find yourself feeling stressed or life has been dealing you a losing hand lately, go to a park, a beach, woods or whatever you favorite getaway spot is and get reacquainted with Mother Nature and all she has to offer. Nature has a lot to teach us if we take the time to learn. The egret is the embodiment of patience - standing stock still in the water waiting for it's next meal to get within striking distance. Watch the chipmunk in his mission to find food for the long winter months as he tirelessly darts thru the woods.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your stay. If you have any quotes you like, leave them in the comments below; you may inspire my next post! What is your favorite thing to do to celebrate the natural world around us? Comments are always welcomed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...