Friday, March 8, 2019

Interview with Scottish Photographer & Vlogger Kim Grant

Author note: It's been well over a year since I interviewed Kelly Czupkiewicz for this blog and I thought it was time to resurrect the series. I am beginning with Scottish photographer Kim Grant. I am lining up more for the months to come. Stay tuned.
I found Kim on YouTube a while back and subscribed to her channel before I was even halfway thru the first video. I'm not even sure how I discovered her channel - I was following guys like Thomas Heaton, Brendan van Son and Serge Ramelli; one of her videos may have shown up on the "Up Next" suggestion list while watching one of their videos or when I did a search for "female photographer." I doesn't matter how I found her, I'm just very happy I did.

If you watch her videos you will soon learn how much she loves nature and her homeland, Scotland. She is genuinely enthusiastic about each place she visits, as well as quite knowledgeable. Most of the photographers/vloggers I follow are producing videos for one or more of the following reasons:

  1. Show off their photography skills and images
  2. Teach you how to do something
  3. To sell you something - a piece of equipment, calendar, workshop, Lightroom presets, etc....
My experience with Kim is that her main objective is to share her love of nature and country, displaying her skill as a photographer is just icing on the cake (and what a sweet icing it is.) It is a refreshing change and I think this is one thing that contributes to her success; watching her videos is like being on vacation with a friend as a tour guide. This year Kim ventured into the world of workshops and now you can experience Scotland with your very own guide. The workshops are single-day and, as-of this writing, cost £50 (about $65 USD). You get an opportunity to shoot side-by-side with Kim and see some of her favorite locations. It is a great way to discover new places, meet new people and learn to see things differently. She also offers private, one-on-one sessions; check the "Workshops" section of her website.

I have been re-watching some of her videos, particularly her earlier ones, in preparation for this interview. Snowy Adventure and What My Youtube Channel is Really About! is the video in which I "connected" with Kim and really gives us a good understanding of who she is. If you watch the video, just about 4:30 in she starts to talk about her channel and what it is all about; at one point she states "...landscape photography is something which I use to connect with the natural world...". I feel exactly the same way, sometimes when I am out I wonder if my hiking is an excuse for photography or if photography is an excuse to go out hiking. In the end, it doesn't matter - right? I don't want to put words in Kim's mouth but, for us, the experience is more important than the image. The act of squeezing the shutter is an attempt to capture not only the beauty of the scene but also the feeling and character of the landscape.

Okay - enough of my ramblings, let's get to "Kim Grant in her own words!" I hope you check out her links below and consider supporting her work via her Patreon page.

The Interview

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Camping in Aviemore with my dad. Loved spending the summers in the Highlands enjoying all things outdoorsy from kayaking to cycling. There was nothing better than spending a day down by a loch and cooking food on a stove.

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

  • Spaghetti Bolognese
  • Dark Chocolate
  • Ice Cream
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Freshly Made Baguette

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

"You always have a choice". I was told this by a midwife when I was training to be a nurse just after I left school. It's always stuck with me and is something I always repeat in my mind when I feel my life is steering in the wrong direction.
(Joe: Great advice! I have never been disappointed with the answers to this question. I’m beginning to wonder if I asked it for the advice…. 😉)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't shooting?

Getting stuck into a really good book. There's nothing better than immersing yourself into a fantasy world and letting your mind run wild. Anything with a good message or a page turning thriller. It's a great way to detach from the stresses of real life for an hour or two.

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

They say never to meet your heros. I would therefore probably pick someone who had an interesting life with a lot of interesting stories to tell. Maybe someone like George Michael. His music inspired so many but he battled a lot of things behind the camera. It would have been interesting to hear his personal accounts of fame and the pressures that come with it.
(Joe: This is interesting…. I have heard the same advice; I’ve been fortunate to meet some whom I have admired, all where good encounters. I have been lucky.)

What is something that most people don’t know about you?

I was almost a black belt in kick-boxing when I was a kid (one belt away from black belt - almost a martial arts expert hehe).
(Joe: I always hope that my interviewees are happy with the final interview but this answer makes me nervous…)🤣

What would you like to be remembered for?

Allowing people to see the natural world in a more positive light and being able to inspire people to get outdoors and embrace it.

Professional questions

Why photography?

It allows me to connect with nature in a more meaningful way. I find it relaxing and it gets me out the house to see stunning times of day which so many of us miss.

How and why did you start vlogging?

I started it as a bit of fun. I thought it would be good to share my trips around Scotland and teach people a few positive messages along the way. I genuinely only expected a few hundred people to see and follow my adventures. It still shocks me how well my YouTube channel has done and how many people enjoy watching the content that I create.
(Joe: As I am writing this, Kim has more than 11,000 subscribers!)

Can you explain your photography in 10 words or less?

A connection with the landscape and it's true natural beauty.

What is your greatest achievement in photography?

Before YouTube I made a small local calendar showcasing my best images from around the Moray Coast. Seeing my images in print for the first time made me feel incredibly proud. I only managed to sell half of them (barely making the money I spent on printing them back) but the fact that almost 100 people wanted one, made me feel very proud of my images and work!

If you could share a gallery show with anyone past or present, who would it be?

There is an English photographer called Ollie Taylor who shoots astrophotography. His work always blows me away! Sharing a gallery with him would be fun (me showcasing locations at golden hours and him showcasing the same locations after dark). I think it would be a great contrasting visual representation of the landscape throughout the day.
(Joe: That sounds like a great exhibit! Hey, Ollie! What about it?)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you shoot and what’s your favorite part about the process?

Watching inspiring videos and vlogs. Nothing inspires me more than seeing somewhere stunning on film with epic music and light. I often feel my most inspired when I see a really good YouTube video and I begin to plan my own trip to that location (or one similar) to have my own adventure. Seeing other people have a happy experience in a location, inspires me to get there and shoot it for myself.
(Joe: I’m sure you have done your share of inspiring others thru your videos!)

What is your favorite location to shoot?

The coast. It's too difficult to pick one specific location. I love standing on towering clifftops and shooting the sunset or sunrise with the ocean and waves crashing around me. I always feel most alive when shooting seascapes. Just take me to the coast and I'm happy!
(Joe: I would agree with you. There is something magical about a sunrise over the ocean – I would do it every day if it wasn’t so early in the morning!) 😉

What is your favorite piece of equipment?

Probably my tripod. while I enjoy shooting without it from time to time, it allows me to get creative with long shutter speeds and explore the world of astrophotography.

How did you get your start and what advice would you give to someone looking for a career in photography?

I feel like I'm still starting out in the photography world myself. It's a challenge to get into it in the modern day world but plenty of practice and sharing your work online can really boost your chances. On a local level, my Facebook page was very popular when I first started (as local people could relate to the locations I was shooting). In my current photography journey, it's youtube that has opened up the doors for me. I guess social media is your friend. If you're more into portraits, weddings or events, networking and marketing yourself is the best way. You need to get your service and name out there to get the work in.

Bonus question:

What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

  • Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
  • Elton John - Captain Fantastic
  • Florence and the Machine - Ceremonials
  • Kygo - Cloud Nine
  • Sia - This Is Acting

Links


All images are © Kim Grant and may not be used without written permission. You may contact Kim at kimgrantphotography@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...