Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Product Review: MeFOTO RoadTrip tripod

MeFOTO RoadTrip tripod

On YouTube

I published a video review of the MeFOTO RoadTrip on my YouTube channel. In the video I demonstrate using the tripod and discuss it's features. You can check it out here - https://youtu.be/LoCVEsTgsnc

First Impression

I recently received a MeFOTO RoadTrip Aluminum tripod - orange - and took it out in the field to try it out. My first impression when I opened the box and took it out from the carry case was very positive. The tripod folds up to a nice, compact size (15.4 in / 39.1 cm) making it easy to carry and the legs quickly fold back into place when you are ready to shoot. It weights in at 3.6 pounds (1.6 kilos) and can hold up to 17.6 pounds (8 kilos). The tripod comes with a dual action ballhead with Arca-Swiss style quick release plate. I have both the standard "black" release plate and an "orange" plate to match the tripod. The ballhead moved smoothly and stayed put when locked down. The addition of a bubble level in the head was a nice bonus. There is a spring-loaded hook at the bottom of the center column that can be used to hang some weight for added stability.

In The Field

I decided to head out to one of my favorite locations for my first tests - the Visitor Center at Monmouth Battlefield State Park. I wanted to shoot a variety of images, including low-angle, fully extended, and panorama. I shot mainly with my Canon EF-S 18-135mm but also brought my old Sigma 400mm f/5.6 to see how the tripod - especially the head - stood up to it.

I started out shooting a panorama with the camera in landscape. This is where the bubble level in the head comes in quite handy. I set the legs out to full extension and the center column most of the way up - the least stable configuration. I leveled the head, mounted the camera and took a 4-shot panorama. I had the lens at 18mm (29mm equivalent) giving me a horizontal field of view of about 60°. I mention this because I used this figure to determine how much to rotate the head for each shot. The ballhead has markings along the base representing the degrees on a compass. I wanted about a 25% overlap so I rotated the head 45° between shots. I then turned the camera 90° to shot the same panorama in portrait. I wanted to use the registration marks for this panorama but they get obscured by the camera and it is too hard to use.

From the panoramas, I turned to my 400mm - I wanted to see how well the tripod performed at full extension. I mounted the lens to the tripod and took a number of shots. A telephoto of this size (640mm equivalent) was going to show any camera shake there may be. I didn't notice any sign of shake in the final images - quite impressive. I spent some time with the tripod in a variety of positions from fully extended to compact. I put the tripod at odd angles with each leg at different extensions and angles. It performed beautifully throughout.

When I was done with most of the testing, I removed the center column and one leg and then screwed them together to form a monopod. I used the monopod with the Sigma 400mm mounted on the camera. I chose to use these this lens because it is the lens I most use with a monopod and I wanted to see how well they performed together. The monopod worked beautifully - from fully extended to compact. The monopod functioned flawlessly throughout my tests. I have owned, and used, a Bogen monopod fitted with a Cullman ballhead since the mid-1980's but that is now retired. There is no longer a need to carry a separate monopod.

The next day I took the tripod out again - this time I was shooting ground-level, with a shutter speed around 1/2 second. I found this spinning toy while driving through Old Tennent Cemetery and thought it would make a good subject. I set the tripod as low as I could go and adjusted the legs to balance the setup. The place I saw shooting was on the side of a hill and there was no flat ground. This was a good test; as a landscape photographer I don't often get a nice, flat surface to shoot from. Once again, the tripod worked as-expected and was quite solid.

Pros

  • It's orange!
  • Compact design
  • Lightweight
  • Very solid
  • Easy to use
  • Converts to monopod
  • Hook on center column
  • Center column reverses for low-angle photography

Cons

  • The bubble level is on the head, not the body of the tripod. It isn't helpful if the platform is set vertically
  • The level is also all white and rather small, making it difficult to see well
  • Using the "spiked" feet requires removing rubber and installing spike - could be easier
  • Registration marks aren't easy to use in "portrait"

Final Thoughts

Overall, I really can't say enough good things about this tripod. It does everything it is expected to do and it exceeded my expectations. I tend to be a bit leery of things that are somewhat "non-traditional", such as flashy colors. I find many times that the color, or whatever the "hook" is, turns out to be the best part of the product. That isn't the case with the MeFOTO RoadTrip - it delivers on all of it's promises and does so while giving you a little bit of flash. While I was running through my tests I got a few looks from passers-by and one even stopped to ask about the tripod. I haven't had a chance to do any extreme long exposures but have a few in mind and don't expect any trouble.

The bubble level is a nice idea but I don't think it is particularly useful in it's current configuration. It might be better if it were yellow or green and a bit larger. It truly was difficult for me to see. It might also be a good idea to move the registration marks to a collar separate from the head and have a mark on the head.

The bottom line is that I highly recommend this tripod to anyone looking for a "go-to" travel tripod. The MSRP for the RoadTrip Aluminum is $199 and the RoadTrip Carbon Fiber is $349. You can pay a whole lot more buying someone else's tripod or you can buy a MeFOTO and use the rest of the money for some filters or other accessories.

Manufacturers Specifications

Note: The specifications listed below were taken from the manufacturers website and are accurate as-of the writing of this review. They have not been independently verified by the reviewer
ALUMINUMCARBON FIBER
Maximum Load17.6 lb17.6 lb
Max Height w/Column Extended61.6"61.6"
Max Height w/Column Retracted53.1"53.1"
Minimum Height15.4"15.4"
Folded Length15.4"15.4"
Max Height Converted to Monopod64"64"
Number of Leg Sections55
Leg Lock TypeTwist LockTwist Lock
Center ColumnYes. Attaches to leg section to convert to full size monopodYes. Attaches to leg section to convert to full size monopod.
Tilt Range-45° / +90°-45° / +90°
Drag ControlYesYes
Spiked FeetYesYes
Panning Range360°360°
Separate Panning LockYesYes
Quick Release (QR) PlateArca-Swiss Style (PU50)Arca-Swiss Style (PU50)
Bubble LevelYesYes
Head Mount Thread Size3/8"-163/8"-16
Weight3.6 lb3.1 lb

For More Information or to Buy


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. A lot of good information to help someone make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. I plan to follow-up in a few months after giving it an extensive workout.

      Delete
  2. Well written and informative review. I would definitely consider this tripod based on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent timing. I was looking for a well appointed travel Tri-pod. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you found the review helpful. If you purchase one, please come back and let me know what you think about it.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...