Monday, March 5, 2018

Sunset and a Peek-a-Boo Moon

Sunset

After a particularly rough day at the office I decided to shoot a sunset on the way home. The conditions were okay but I knew I wasn't going to get an incredibly spectacular sky. This shoot wasn't necessarily about getting a great image but rather unwinding and getting rid of a bad day.

When I got to MacLearie Park in Belmar I had about 30 minutes or so until sunset so I took my time finding a composition. I have shot here before but always at the westernmost point so that I can get a sailboat and small tree in the shot. I wanted something different this time so I walked along the water towards the east until I found the tree that is in the first image. I now had a subject but that is a long way from having a composition that I was happy with. I finally settled on the somewhat wide, landscape shot and waited for some color on the horizon.

While waiting, I took out my phone and wandered around - I turned towards the west and got this image of the sky. You can see the edges of the clouds just beginning to get some red and magenta along the edges. I shot this with the camera in Lightroom for Mobile, did some on-location editing and used this as my "I am here, where are you?" social media shot for the night.
I was happy with the first composition but wanted to see if I could isolate the tree a little more so I moved a bit to my left, went from wide angle to a moderate telephoto focal length and shot. I cropped it to a square in post-production and really like the way it came out. This is definitely a tree that is going to get more exposure in the coming weeks and months.

Peek-a-Boo Moon

Don’t pack up your camera until you’ve left the location. – Joe McNally
When the sun was down and I had gotten what I came for I picked up the tripod and headed back to the car. It was a chilly evening but nice so I took the long way. I had not gone far when I decided to take a look at "my" tree from the opposite side - maybe it would be a nice subject for a sunrise one of these days. I turned around and was confronted by the scene shown in the last image. The moon was peaking thru the cloud, I had the lights of the marina and bridge in the distance. I quickly set down the tripod, composed the image and grabbed a few shots before the cloud ate the moon for good.

The quote above is one that I found a while ago and I pull it out every once in a while. I used to pack up my gear when I was done shooting and then head back to my car - it was easier to carry and I could just get in the car and leave. I did this even after I saw this quote! I don't do it any more.... I had an instance where I packed up and an unbelievable composition with near perfect light jumped out at me - I grabbed by bag, set up the camera, pointed it and then muttered a few words that I won't use in polite company. The moment was gone.... I have not packed up before reaching the car ever since.


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...