Monday, August 7, 2017

Interview with French Photographer Serge Ramelli

Serge Ramelli is a French photographer from Paris, who also spends a lot of time in the United States. I first came across Serge while searching YouTube for Photoshop and Lightroom videos and have been an avid subscriber since Day 1. It became apparent from the very start that Serge is not only quite knowledgeable about editing but he is also a very talented photographer with a flair for the dramatic. His images are stunning and he has had a definite influence on my work.

He got his start shooting interiors for hotels. He won his first job by beating out a number of established photographers – each had been tasked to shoot the same room in the hotel, the best shot wins the contract. Serge won that contest and he has never looked back.I recently saw Serge on The Grid with Scott Kelby. Scott mentioned that Serge had photographs exhibited in, I think, 86 galleries throughout the world and there were more on the way! The impression I got was that you can’t walk into a gallery in Paris without seeing some of his work. This is on top of publishing books, leading workshops, creating videos and tutorials for his website and YouTube channel. Serge is a lecturer at Photoshop World and one of the instructors at KelbyOne. He somehow finds time to shoot and produce amazing photographs and do some acting. Yes, Serge loves to act and recently completed a movie titled, The Hollywouldn’ts. That, my friends, is incredibly impressive.

I encourage you to seek out his videos and sign up for a free membership on his website – the links follow the interview below. With that, I give to you – the one and only, Serge Ramelli!

The Interview

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

The first time when I was 15 and travel the world and arrived in LA, I loved the weather and the palm tress, it was different then Paris !

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

  • Croissant
  • French baguette
  • Apples
  • A good American Burger
  • Crepes
As you can see only healthy stuff ;-)
(Joe: I can't see anything on this list that isn't healthy. If you are ever in New Jersey, let me know and I will treat you to the best burger you ever ate.)

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

Don't waste your time living somebody else life. Steve Jobs
(Joe: I think this is advice everyone should heed.)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't shooting?

Acting

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

Jean Paul Belmondo (French actor), he is my favorite actor and I just love everything about him, I met him briefly and got a letter from him, but would have love to play in a movie with him and spend some time!

Professional questions

Why photography? Why YouTube?

Because I realised 13 years after a demonstration that a friend gave me that with a camera and photoshop you could create easily without needing a team, like movie making. It was an effective way to express yourself as an artist. Youtube, because I love to share and be in front of the camera

Can you explain your photography in 10 words or less?

I love the drama, the idea of a scene that something extraordinary is going to happen
(Joe: This is quite obvious in Serge's work, as you can see.)

What is your greatest achievement in photography?

Having taught photography to thousands of person across the world that can now do a better art or even better changed career and do what they love in life.
(Joe: On behalf of those you have taught, "Thank you!")

If you could share a gallery show with anyone past or present, who would it be?

Ansel Adams, He was one of my biggest inspiration
(Joe: If not for Ansel Adams I may not be a landscape photographer. His work is incredible. Serge dedicated a series of tutorials on "On the Trail of Ansel Adams" - I strongly recommend it. There is a link below.)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you shoot and what’s your favorite part about the process?

From the light, I always wait for a great moment of light and then I look for a subject, I use to follow cloud formation in Paris in a scooter and then find the subject

What is your favorite location to shoot?

It use to be Paris, but now that I have done so much I would say the national parks in the US my favorite so far Zion and Yosemite

What is your favorite piece of equipment?

My Sony Ar2, so light and so powerful

How did you get your start and what advice would you give to someone looking for a career in photography?

I got a start via interior design. My best advise find a niche that people are willing to buy photo like real estate, hotels, wedding, product shots... Create a portfolio with very FEW photos but AMAZING ones and start prospecting you will work!
(Joe: Great advice.)

Bonus question:

What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! Love Serge's work! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April! I have been a fan of his for a while and learned a lot from watching his YouTube channel. I was very happy to land this interview - I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...