Monday, April 24, 2017

Interview with Equine Photographer Bill Denver

It is my pleasure to introduce New Jersey Equine Photographer, Bill Denver. I learned of Bill through my friend, Chris (Interview with Photographer Chris Gahler), and once I saw Bill's work I knew I had to interview him and share his work with my readers. I think you will be as intrigued by his images as I am.

Bill is a New Jersey native from Monmouth County where he still lives and works. His career in thoroughbred photography began when he was hired as an assistant photographer at Monmouth Park Racetrack in Oceanport, New Jersey in the early 1980's. It wasn't long before he moved from being the assistant to the Official Track Photographer at Monmouth Park Racetrack, as-well-as Parx Racing in Bensalem, Pennsylvania. In 1989 he started his equine photography company, Equi-Photo, and, like one of his famous subjects, American Pharoah; he has not looked back since.

His career is not confined to the New Jersey racing scene; he lists The Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes among the many races he has covered along with the Haskell and Breeders’ Cup here at home. If you are not familiar with horse racing let me put it into perspective; shooting these races is akin to shooting the NFL Super Bowl, MLB World Series, PGA Masters or U.S. Open tennis.

While his credentials are rather impressive, his body of work is even more so. I asked Bill to send me some images to spotlight (my favorite is the shot at sunrise) and they are quite spectacular. I encourage you to check out his portfolio (link below) and make certain to check out the “Equine Portraits” – stunning! When shooting portraits it is so important to capture the essence of the subject - show us who they are as well as what they look like. Bill captures the personality of the horse and the relationship between human and animal as well as anyone I have seen.

I do hope you will use the links below to learn more about Bill and his photography; in addition to his equine work he does canine and feline portraits, corporate portraits, events, editorial and real estate/architecture photography. I know you are anxious to get to the interview so I will not keep you any longer. Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you, Bill Denver.

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

Water Skiing on the Navesink River with my brothers.
(Joe: the Navesink is really nice – I’ve been fishing a few times. I grew up on the Shrewsbury River.)

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

Chicken Tikka Masala (I love Indian Food), Thai Basil Chicken (Love Thai Food Too), Pizza, Eggplant Parmigiana and Sauteed Broccoli Rabe!

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

Being that I am self taught, I think Ansel Adams put it great, "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs".
(Joe: You cannot go wrong listening to Ansel Adams. I have used this quote in my email signature block from time-to-time.)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't shooting?

I love hiking, preferably with my family.

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

Warren Buffett. I recently watched a feature about him and think it would be really inspiring to meet him.
(Joe: I am always surprised at the answer to this question; this is another terrific response. Warren Buffett would be fascinating to sit with.)

Professional questions

Why photography?

Photography has opened many doors for me. I have met many amazing people both famous and not so famous. Photographed Space Shuttle launches, Kentucky Derbies, Professional Sports, etc. I am always excited about the next assignment. I love my job!

Can you explain your photography in 10 words or less?

The study of light.

What is your greatest achievement in photography?

Longevity I guess. I've been at it for many years and have always been fortunate to keep busy with what I love doing.

If you could share a gallery show with anyone past or present, who would it be?

Stephen Wilkes. I've met him on a few occasions and would be honored to be part of any show with him. He is not only extremely talented, but very inspiring to me.
(Joe: I have to admit, I had not heard of Stephen Wilkes but he does some great work.)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you shoot and what’s your favorite part about the process?

I draw inspiration from everyday life, especially when I'm around horses. My favorite part of the process is when I'm out shooting thoroughbreds working out during morning workouts and I find scenes that just inspire me to stop and photograph. Nothing beats a morning at the racetrack with all the sights and sounds of horses and people going about their daily routines. Great morning light helps as well!
(Joe: I already mentioned my favorite here was the sunrise shot.)

Bonus question

What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

  • Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
  • U2- The Joshua Tree
  • Dave Matthews Band - Under The Table And Dreaming
  • Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
  • Eagles- Desperado

Equi-Photo - http://www.equiphoto.com/
William Denver Photography - New Jersey Corporate Head Shot Photographer - http://www.williamdenver.com/


All images are Copyright William Denver ©1983-2017. They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...