Monday, March 20, 2017

Interview with Photographer and Photoshop Guru Scott Kelby

Scott was born in Florida and still lives there today with his lovely wife, Kalebra, and their two children. He is an accomplished photographer, writer and, as a friend once described him, a Photoshop Magician. I understand he is also quite the musician but I cannot seem to find him on Pandora; maybe he will play for us on The Grid one afternoon…. Ah yes, The Grid. This is another hat that he wears; Scott hosts a photography webcast each Wednesday afternoon called The Grid. Each week there is a different guest and they discuss different topics, one show a month is dedicated to “blind critiques” and viewers are encouraged to submit photos. The reviews are brutally honest – Scott and his guest will let you know if you should sell the image or your equipment. If you only catch one show a month, make it this one because you will learn a lot from the critiques. The show is also as entertaining as it is informational. You never know what will happen – I was watching a recent portrait critique session with guest, Tracy Sweeney, when Scott broke out into “Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks” and a brief interlude as to why that was such a great jingle. It appeared as though he was the only one in the studio that was old enough to remember it which made it even funnier. You can catch that episode here - The Grid – Blind Photo Critiques with Tracy Sweeney – Episode 274. I will list a few of my other favorites at the end of this post. We can’t forget that Scott is also President and CEO of KelbyOne, founder of “Scott Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk” and Conference Technical Chair for Photoshop World. I’d love to know how he finds the time to shoot!

Discovering Scott was a happy accident. I was new to Photoshop and was looking for tutorials, Scott Kelby and KelbyOne showed up in the search results. I watched a few videos and became a fan. I have subscribed to the KelbyOne YouTube channel and would suggest you do the same – many videos are a short but filled with information so you don’t have to worry about having 20 or 30 minutes to kill watching a video. If you are really serious about learning photography, Photoshop, Lightroom and all that goes with it I would suggest subscribing to KelbyOne and/or buying any of his books on the subject. I have watched hours of videos and nobody does it better.

When he isn’t teaching others how to be better photographers, he works as a freelance sports photographer. He is a football fanatic and has covered a wide range of NFL and College football teams but he isn’t limited to just football. If you check out his portfolio you will see some stunning shots covering gymnastics, tennis, motor sports and more. He seems to have the gift of knowing where to be and when, bringing some interesting perspective to sports photography.

So, without further ado I bring you my “interview” with Scott Kelby.

Personal questions

What is your favorite childhood memory?

It was definitely summer vacations with my mom and dad in Sarasota, Florida at the Gulf Beach hotel. We went there a week or two every year, and sometimes my cousins would join us from New York, and my brother would be there, and it was just such a wonderful time. I loved every minute and I’m so grateful to my mom and dad for being such fun parents.

What are the five foods you can’t live without?

A classic greasy American Hamburger (Mmmmmm). I love most every kind of Pasta; love Chinese food (especially Lo Mein); a love a big juicy New York Strip steak, and I’m a sandwich guy, so a nice Italian Hero would be right up my alley.
(Joe: this got me hungry – there is nothing like a great burger and I know where they hide in Jersey….)

What’s the best advice anyone has given you and who gave it to you?

You never go wrong by doing the right thing, from my Dad - not just in saying it, but in how he lived his life.
(Joe: that is great advice and something that I will definitely share)

What is your favorite thing to do when you aren't shooting?

I love to travel with wife or the whole family — it’s about my most favorite thing in the world.

If you could spend an hour with any famous person, past or present, who would it be and why?

My first choice would be Jesus, hands down…but otherwise I think Mark Twain would be fascinating to have lunch with. Especially if he met me someplace that served hamburgers, pasta, Lo Mein, a New York Strip and sandwiches. ;-)
(Joe: Mark Twain is a great choice. One of the great humorists and great writers.)

Professional questions

Why photography?

Because I think it’s a natural extension of me being a musician all my life. It’s another way of telling my story, just like writing is for me.

Can you explain your photography in 10 words or less?

I love people and places and try to express that. :)
(Joe: I think this comes through loud and clear)

What is your greatest achievement in photography?

Being able to take photos that are designed from the outset to help people on their journey of learning photography.

If you could share a gallery show with anyone past or present, who would it be?

I would love to share a gallery show with my wife. We see the world so differently, so our styles would be so different, but yet still complimentary because our post processing styles are very similar (even though she does all hers on an app on her phone. That’s her camera, too). I would love that, because we’d be together, and it’s when I’m doing something together with her that I’m my most happy.
(Joe: that is an interesting choice – based on a recent episode of The Grid with Kalebra, I would have to say the opening reception would be a blast)

Where do you draw inspiration from when you shoot and what’s your favorite part about the process?

I look at the work of a lot of different photographers. In fact, i would say it’s the thing I do the most to try and improve my photography — I study and try to dissect their work; their process; their creativity and vision. I often go to 500px or even just Instagram to get inspired before a shoot. This research phase is one of the most fun parts for me.
(Joe: what better way to learn than by studying the work of others?)

Bonus question: What are your Top 5 "Deserted Island" albums?

  • Kenny Loggins, Celebrate me home
  • Bon Jovi, Slippery When Wet
  • Journey, Greatest Hits
  • James Taylor, October Road
  • Pat Benetar, Greatest Hits

That, my friends, is a brief look into the mind of Scott Kelby. There are a lot of photographers whose work I admire and study but there are only a few that I would like to sit and have a beer (or big ol’ cheeseburger) with – Ansel Adams, Annie Liebovitz and Scott Kelby are in that group. They are more than photographers; they are artists and have personalities that make them friends you haven’t met yet. I never got a chance to meet Ansel but there is still time left for paths to cross with others.

As promised, here are a couple of my favorite, recent, The Grid episodes:

Check out the links below and show Scott some love. I haven’t had a chance to go on a Photo Walk but have friends who have and they rave. His live seminars are more than worth the price of admission – the “Photoshop Magician” tag came from a friend who has attended some. Finally, if you see him walking around looking hungry bring him a big, ol’ greasy hamburger!

That’s it, folks! This is the first, in what I hope will be a long list of interviews with photographers. I have a few more “in the works” and looking for others. If you are a working photographer, or know someone who is, and would like to be interviewed please send an email to valencia32photo@gmail.com or use the “Contact” form on this page.


All photos are copyrighted and used with permission. They may not be used within written permission by the copyright owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...