Monday, February 4, 2019

Product Review: Kelty Redwing 32 Backpack

Kelty Redwing 32 Backpack

If you are a regular reader on this blog you may remember the reviews I did on the Tamrac Hoodoo 20 Camera Daypack (Product Review: Tamrac Hoodoo 20 Camera Daypack and UPDATED: Product Review - Tamrac Hoodoo 20 Camera Daypack) and that, while a nice bag, it did not suit my needs. I soon discovered that most of the camera bags/backpacks were lacking some of the basics - such as water bottle pockets. I did find them on the higher-end bags but they were priced outside my budget. I started looking at hiking backpacks and found the Kelty Redwing series. I decided on the Redwing 32 (pictured here with Kelty Range 2.0 trekking poles) in "twilight blue." For more information and specifications, follow the link to the Kelty website below.

First Impression

When I first opened the box I was quite happy - it is a good-looking bag with a lot of pockets for storage. There are two (2) outside pockets for carrying water which already put it head-and-shoulders above the Tamrac bag. The back is well padded, as are the shoulder straps but I would like to see the waist belt and sternum strap a bit more robust. The bag is well made, has plenty of pockets - inside and out - and the zippers work smoothly. There are "hidden" straps in the front of the bag for hanging miscellaneous items. One thing that is noticeably missing is the presence of "D"-rings on the shoulder straps. They aren't absolutely necessary but it is something I would like to have had, it makes it easier to have some things "at hand" when you need them - like a compass, emergency whistle, etc....

In The Field

I have been using the pack for a few months and love it. When I got the pack, I also got a medium storage box (Kelty) to hold my filters, filter holder and some small accessories. In the beginning, I put a folded sweatshirt in the bottom for padding and then used bubble wrap around my lenses and camera body to protect them. This worked but was rather awkward. I then searched B&H for inserts and found the Ape Case Cubeze QB39 Flexible Storage Cube (see link below.) This was perfect for holding two lenses and camera body.

The pack feels good on my back and allows me to carry everything I need for an afternoon out - including the tripod! There is not a dedicated "tripod holder", after all this pack isn't designed as a camera bag, but I am able to carry is on the side. I slide two legs behind of of the outside pockets and into one of the water bottle pockets. It isn't ideal but it works quite well. There are two (2) loops at the bottom of the pack, they are designed to hold trekking poles, and I think I can use one or both for the tripod. I will have to play around and will let you know in a follow-up if I have any success.

Final Thoughts

All in all, I love the pack. As I mentioned, a couple "D"-rings would be nice and better waist/sternum straps would help but there really isn't anything else I could think to improve on it's design. I do have some trouble getting my water bottles to stay but I am using bottles that it wasn't really designed for. I have Takeya 24oz and 32oz bottles - they fit nicely but they are a bit tall and since they are aluminum they slide out easily. They stay just fine while I am hiking but sometimes fall out when taking the pack off.

There is more than enough room for all of my gear, water, extra clothes and some food - everything I need for a full day of adventure and shooting. The bottom line is - I would highly recommend this bag to hikers and photographers alike! There are other sizes available if you need a smaller or larger bag.

Note: I receive no money from the sale or promotion of any of the items written about in this review. The opinions are mine and mine alone. I have not been paid to write this review or to endorse any of the products or companies.

For More Information & Where to Buy

Kelty Redwing 32 backpack - https://www.kelty.com/redwing-32/

Ape Case Cubeze QB39 Flexible Storage Cube @ B&H - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903032-REG/Cubeze_QB39_Flexible_Storage_Cube_Yellow


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Thanks for this. I've been looking for camera bag reviews for a while now. I recently just got into photography and I could really use some reviews like this. I've also read some reviews about water proof camera bags as well and I think they're great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael - I'm glad you found the review useful. There are a lot of bags that are specifically designed for photography - LowePro makes some good bags - but they aren't very good if you are bringing your gear along on a hike or camping trip. Good luck with your photography and search for a bag. I invite you to check out some of my "Improve Your Photography" posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the good luck. I will definitely check that out.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...