Wednesday, July 12, 2017

There Is Pleasure In The Pathless Woods

There is pleasure in the pathless woods, there is rapture in the lonely shore, there is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar; I love not Man the less, but Nature more. - Lord Byron

I am not one who is attracted to poetry and don't know much about it outside of Ogden Nash but I came across this quote a while back. I tucked it away thinking it would be a good subject for a blog post and now, here it is!

If you have been following me for a while you know how fond I am of wandering around in the woods. If I had to spend the rest of my life in just one environment, this is what I would choose and so when I saw this poem it immediately went into my "inspiration" list.

I would miss the ocean - the sound of the crashing waves and smell of the salt - but I derive far more pleasure hearing the sound of a babbling brook and the smell of the forest floor. There is nothing like the smell of the woods in autumn - except for maybe the smell of a baby.... :-)

Where else are you going to get this close to something as beautiful and graceful as this deer? I can, and have, sat for long periods just watching them walk through the woods, occasionally stopping to eat. If you listen closely you may hear the sound of a woodpecker looking for insects in a nearby tree. I found this hairy woodpecker only a few yards off a trail I was hiking behind my home. The was no noise but for his tapping on the tree, it took a few seconds to find him.

If you are lucky you may get to see a chipmunk or two scurrying around collecting acorns, like this little guy. I had been periodically seeing a few chipmunks on my afternoon hikes but was never able to get a decent shot - not only are they tiny but they never seem to stop moving. I was quite fortunate to get the opportunity to get the shot below.

I don't want you to go away thinking you can only go into the woods during temperate conditions - there is nothing quite like being out during, or just after, a snowfall. It is so pure and unbelievably quiet.

And with that I will bring this post to a close. I hope I have inspired you to go out and explore the “pathless woods” and have your own adventure. Please remember – Leave No Trace. Please obey all rules and regulations of the park you are hiking in and obey all signs along the way. Do not encroach on sensitive areas or leave the trail unless it is allowed.


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...