Monday, August 27, 2018

Product Review: Vello Macrofier for Canon EOS (UPDATED!)

Vello Macrofier

This review is not sponsored, nor is it commissioned by the manufacturer. I requested, and received, the equipment for the purpose of producing a review on my YouTube channel - you can check out the review here.

What is it?

The Macrofier is a third-party lens accessory made by Vello (http://www.vellogear.com/) for use with the Canon EF/EF-S lens systems. It can be be used as a set of automatic extension tubes or a lens reverse-mount system; both are a means of achieving macro photography with non-macro lenses or to achieve greater magnification with macro lenses1.

When you reverse-mount the lens you can get incredibly close, as you can see in the first image. This is a Canon 18-135mm EF-S lens reverse-mounted. The inscription on the lens states the closest focusing distance is 1.5 feet (.45 meters) but with the lens reversed I am just an inch or so away. Extension tubes work in the same way - by moving the lens away from the camera body you can achieve closer focus.

First Impression

When I opened the box I wasn't quite sure what to expect - I had seen the product photos on B&H and the Vello website but, often, the product doesn't necessary live up to it's "image." I was pleasantly surprised to find it was exactly what I saw in the pictures. It appeared to be well-made and sturdy. It comes with seven (7) adapter rings (52 mm, 58 mm, 62 mm, 67 mm, 72 mm, 77 mm, 82mm) to fit just about any lens you may have. The Macrofier, itself, is packaged in a bubble-wrap bag inside the box. The one thing I noticed was that there were now caps for the device - this isn't a big deal but I was a little surprised. I just ordered a body cap and lens cap to put on it when it is stored in my bag. The rings are solid and flat - I mention that because I have purchased other adapter rings in the past that were not quite flat and were difficult to use.

In The Field

Extension Tubes

I looked in the owner guide and website but could not find a definitive answer to the question - How much extension do you get? I was able to find a review on the B&H website where a reviewer reported that, by his calculations, it is about 35mm. Using the Macrofier as a set of extension tubes couldn't be easier - using the threaded ends, you just screw the two halves together, mount one end on the camera body and the lens on the other end. You can also mount the Macrofier on the lens, then mount the assembly on the camera - doesn't really matter. When using extension tubes, you can (probably) get away with hand-holding but I would suggest using a tripod whenever possible. Macro photography produces notoriously shallow depth of field and trying to hold steady is difficult, at best. That said, I have successfully hand-held with the extension tubes.

Reverse-Mount

For me, this is where the fun really begins and you will definitely want to use a tripod. To use the Macrofier to reverse-mount your lens, the two parts have to be separated. Mount the one end on the camera body, screw the appropriate adapter ring onto the half attached to the camera, screw the lens onto the adapter and, finally, attached the second half of the Macrofier to the back end of the lens. This will allow you to work incredibly close to your subject - depending upon the lens. You can see in the initial image that I am about an inch (or less) from the mushroom which will give you more of an "abstract" image, as shown in the image to the left. Working outside at this magnification can be more than a bit tricky because you are battling the elements. Your depth of field is virtually non-existent and so even the slightest movement will kill the image; it took a while for this mushroom to stop moving despite a nearly imperceivable breeze.

I set up a light tent in my studio to do some macro work. You can read more about this session here - Equipment Review: Vello Macrofier for Canon EOS. Working under studio conditions is much easier because you have full control over everything and can take a long as you need to set up and execute a shot.

Final Thoughts

If you have been wanting to get into macro photography and couldn't justify the cost of the macro lens, spend $99.95 and buy a Macrofier. I promise that you will be happy with your decision. I am very happy with the Macrofier and have a lot of work planned for it. The auto-focus works, though it can be difficult at times which is a function of the lens, and the auto-exposure is good, too. It is well-made, solid and ridiculously easy to use. The only "negative" thing I can say is that I am upset that I didn't get one years ago! Yes, I mean that. I have been wanting a true macro lens for quite a while but the price made them a low-priority. I would, still, like to have a true macro lens (or two) some day but for the foreseeable future the Macrofier is all that I need.

I have also used some of my older Canon FD lenses - everything is manual but works just as well. I am able to do this because I bought a lens attachment a few years ago that allows me to mount my FD lenses on my EOS Rebel T3i.

If you own a Nikon, or other brand, you cannot use the Macrofier as-is; it is only available for Canon EOS line of cameras. If you do own a different brand, you may want to buy a Canon-to-brand X adapter which should allow you to use the Macrofier as a reverse-mount device - you would need two (2) adapters to use it as an extension tube. If you do this, you do so at your own risk - I have not tested this, nor have I found evidence of anyone else doing it. I have no idea if it will work but, in theory, it should.

For More Information & Where To Buy

So, there you have it. If you would like more information on the Vello Macrofier, you can check out their website - click here. While you are there, check out the other accessories that Vello makes, including their "lens adapters" that may allow you to use the Macrofier with your other brand, as described above.

You can also check it out, and purchase it, at B&H Photo - click here.

UPDATE

After I wrote this review I recorded a YouTube review, at one point demonstrating the Macrofier. I experienced a bit of trouble mounting and removing the device from the camera. I later discovered that a screw was loose and the head was slightly above the service of the mounting plate. I was able to secure it and it seems to be okay. I reported this to the manufacturer and asked if this was a common complaint - the response was that this was the first instance they had heard of. They offered to replace the device with a new one - since I was able to tighten the screw myself I declined, in part because I want to see if it happens again.

I believe this to be an isolated incident and it in no way changes my overall opinion or recommendation of the Macrofier. The YouTube review can be seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-qJJ4Tb0h4&t=1s


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com



End Notes

  1. I have not tested this equipment with "macro" lenses and have no first-hand knowledge of their performance with this accessory.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...