Monday, July 2, 2018

Maclearie Park - Small Park, Big Sunsets

Maclearie Park

Maclearie Park is a small municipal park in Belmar, New Jersey. On one side you have a highway and the other side is the Shark River which leads into the Atlantic Ocean. Just east of the park is a marina where many charter boats dock; the marina is another great spot for sunsets but that is a story for another day. You may have already seen some of my images from Maclearie Park, if not check out Sunset and a Peek-a-Boo Moon where I not only got a sunset but the added bonus of a full moon peeking thru the clouds.

My Introduction

I have to admit that I never thought about shooting sunsets at Maclearie Park - I had been there with my kids before and have driven by countless times but, for some reason it never got on my list of places to shoot. It wasn't until Dave Schofield (you remember Dave, he was the subject of one of my most popular interviews - Interview with Sports Photographer Dave Schofield. Read it if you haven't already.) Dave shoots there frequently, as well as the marina, and has set the bar high. It has since become a "go to" spot for sunsets and I am often surprised to find new compositions after I thought I had exhausted possibilities. That is one of the wonderful, and frustrating, things about landscape photography - you never know what awaits you.

Trees

I think one of the things that makes the park such a special place to shoot are the trees - especially in silhouette. I have a favorite little tree at the far west corner of the park by a bench. This is the tree in the panorama at the top of the page and the shot with the great cloud formations on the right ("My" tree). I found this tree the very first time I went to shoot but I have since found others that I can use, depending on the conditions. It is easy to get caught up in the beauty of the sunset and focus on the colors but adding some foreground interest will really set your images apart from the rest. You can also use the trees to block out uninteresting stuff - the image above left (Sunset framed by a tree) is one that I found on my last excursion. The sky has some incredible cloud formations but there was also a large expanse of flat, gray clouds between the horizon and the interesting formations. I used this tree to hide the ugly clouds.

Look Away From the Sun

If you concentrate on the sun, you may miss out on some of the best light. The marina sits to the north of where the sun was setting, the image here was shot just a few minutes before the sun disappeared completely. I noticed the lights on the other side of the river and put on a longer lens and stopped down to f/22, knowing I would be able to turn the lights into starbursts. I also wanted the longer exposure so that I could smooth out the water as much as possible. This is one of the few "HDR" shots that I have done - I wanted a darker exposure to capture the warmth of the sky and water but I also wanted some detail in the building and shadows. This image has proven to be quite popular.

My last image for today is an example of a making lemonade when the world gives you lemons. I was at the park for what I thought would be a nice sunset but it wasn't very good. I started looking around and saw this tree with the pastel sky behind it. I was shooting towards the east, away from the setting sun and was initially struck by the muted colors.

In Closing

I hope I have inspired you to get out and shoot a sunset or two, maybe even at Maclearie Park! If you do go to Maclearie Park, I have a few suggestions:

  1. Get there early! This is especially true if it is your first time there. You want to scout the park and look for your composition. I have been there in each of the different seasons and a composition that works in the winter, may not be there in summer. It is also a popular place for people to watch the sunset so you want to stake out your territory.
  2. Bring insect repellent! Obviously, this doesn't apply year-round but definitely during spring and summer. The gnats and mosquitoes can be quite a nuisance and you will spend more time shooing them than shooting. I have been using "Deep Woods Off!" the last couple times I was there and it made a big difference.
These are just a handful of the many images I have of sunset in the park and just a fraction of the compositions available to the photographer willing to look. Have you been to Maclearie Park? If so, let me know what you think. What is YOUR favorite place for sunsets or sunrises? I am also looking for new places to shoot. So, if you find yourself in the Belmar area, looking for something to do - check out a sunset at Maclearie Park, you won't be disappointed. While you're there - if you see me, stop by and say "Hello!", I'll be the guy with the tripod and backpack.

Until next time - get out and enjoy the beauty that is nature!


All photos are copyright Joseph S. Valencia All Rights Reserved They may not be used in any way without express written permission of the photographer. If you wish to use any of the photos you may contact the photographer at valencia32photo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Featured Post

Art Exhibit - Neon Spring

Neon Spring “It is spring again. The earth is like a child that knows poems by heart.” - Rainer Maria...